Heath works with his trainer Hany Rambod, who has devised a special training program called “Fascia Stretch Training” (or FST-7). Heath used this technique coupled up with other tested and reliable triceps exercises to make his arms reach the 22 inch status.
Regarding his triceps, Phil admits that he didn’t faced any difficulty. In his own words –
“It’s not that I don’t want big triceps, but the truth is, I’ve never had much difficulty adding mass to them.”
FST-7 is so named as an individual is required to perform 7 sets of an exercise with 6-12 reps and 45 seconds rest in between the sets.
- One Arm Dumbbell Extensions – 3 sets with 10-12 reps
- Two Arm Dumbbell Kickbacks – 3 sets with 10-12 reps
- Weighted Dips – 2 sets with 10-12 reps
- Cable Push downs – 7 sets with 8-12 reps (A part of FST-7)
During contest season, his bodybuilding workout schedule is rigorous and so he weighs around 110 kg. While during off season, he weighs a little more than that, 125 kg.
Off Season / Pre-Contest Workout Routine
He takes care of every body part and his fitness is due to these exercises. Phil does cardio to warm up his body before executing his workout plan, which is divided into 2 training sessions – morning and evening.
Quads, Hamstrings, Calves
In the morning session, to get quads, hamstrings and calves muscles, he does these exercises –
- Extensions – 4 sets with 8-12 reps
- Front Squats – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- Leg Presses – 3 sets with 6-8 reps
- Hack Squats – 7 sets with 6-8 reps
- Standing Calf Raises – 4 sets with 15-20 reps
- Leg Press Calf Raises – 4 sets with 15-20 reps
- Seated Calf Raises – 7 sets with 12-15 reps
He also focus more on his hamstring muscles found at the back of the thighs after 6 pm.
- Stiff-Leg Dead lifts – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- Lying Leg Curls – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- Seated Leg Curls (Dagger) – 7 sets with 5-7 reps
Chest & Triceps
Now, comes the chest and triceps –
- Dumbbell Incline Presses – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- Dumbbell Incline Flyes – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- Hammer Strength Bench Presses – 3 sets with 6-8 reps
- Pec Decks – 7 sets with 6-8 reps
- Push downs with Rope Attachment – 3 sets with 12 reps
- Dips – 3 sets with 12 reps
- Close-Grip Bench Presses – 3 sets with 6-8 reps
- Lying Triceps Extensions – 7 sets with 6-8 reps
Back and Biceps
- Wide-Grip Pull-Ups – 3 sets with 10 reps
- Power-Grip Chin-Ups – 3 sets with 10 reps
- T-Bar Rows – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- Bent-Over Rows (Underhand Grip) – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- One-Arm Dumbbell Rows – 3 sets with 6-8 reps
- Straight-Arm Pull Downs with Rope Attachment – 7 sets with 12 reps
- Standing EZ-Bar Curls – 3 sets with 6-8 reps
- Hammer Curls – 3 sets 6-8 with reps
- Concentration Curls – 3 sets with 6-8 reps
- Dumbbell Preacher Curls – 7 sets with 5-7 reps
Shoulders and Traps
- Dumbbell Military Presses – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- Dumbbell Front Raises – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- Upright Rows – 4 sets 6-8 with reps
- Dumbbell Lateral Raises – 7 sets with 6-8 reps
- Dumbbell Shrugs – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- Barbell Shrugs – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- Bent-Over Dumbbell Raises – 4 sets with 6-8 reps
- Reverse Pec Decks – 7 sets with 6-8 reps
“The Gift” suggests to not to invent any new exercises if what you are currently doing is working for you. Sometimes he does not count the sets for the exercise which he is doing at that time because he do not want to over work on his muscles and keeps the energy free for the evening sessions or the cardio workout. So, it is not a hard and fast rule that he sticks to the about routine. Heath amends it based upon his needs and the future contests.
Another tip from the famous bodybuilder is that you may not want to hammer your body in the gym to gain muscles and chiseled body, if your body is not recovering or not responding to the workout as it should be.
So, do workout intelligently, which is the key to success. Most people fail to figure out which workout will work best for them.